Weight Loss

About Me

My photo
Athens, PA, United States
A self proclaimed fitness junkie with a weakness for all things unhealthy.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Run it into the ground


Boilermaker 5k Race Report

Utica, NY: The boilermaker is more well known for the 15k run, but there is a 5k event as well. Since I'm not quite ready to take on a 9.3 mile run, I knew I had the 5k no problem. Regardless, of how many races I run I always get nervous right before the event and today was no exception. Maybe it was the fact that I was going to be running amongst 3,000 other runners. That's a big increase from the usual 200-300 I'm used to. Anxiety was high as I made my way to wait for the start. I didn't know what to do in terms of timing. The event was chipped but with that many people you knew that it would be a good decent distance before crossing the start line. What do you do? Do you run to the start, do you follow the herd and do as others are doing? Turns out everyone felt the same way about conserving energy because everyone was walking to the start before running. Good call mass herd of people, I concur! I started my HRM time as soon as I reached the start line.

Mile 1- So they forgot to mention that miles 1 and 3 of the course were uphill. Weaving in and out of people wasn't quite as impossible as one would think. There was a water station right after the start line that people were flocking towards. At that point I made the mental note to avoid whatever side of the road the water stations were on for the remainder of the course. There were times where I felt somewhat like Frogger. Back and forth without getting run over and/or hit. At mile 2 my watch said 8:35. Um fast pace for me much?
Mile 2: What does up must come down. The majority of the second mile was downhill which helped a lot. There were bands every few 100 feet with DJ's and crowds upon crowd upon crowds of people cheering everyone on, regardless if they knew them or not. It was so great and so motivating it was at the point where I told myself, "No matter what happens I'm running this race into the ground. Walking is not an option." End of mile 2 watch said 17:54.
Mile 3: Surprisingly I didn't hit my usual wall. Maybe the treadmill intervals mixed into my running program are helping. Maybe it was the crowds of people and the masses were willing me forward, but whatever it was I knew that I could come in under 31 minutes today. As I said uphill again. But I pushed through and continued to pass people. It was almost like a game at this point, just picking the next person to pass. This race definitely makes me want to run larger races. The crowds and the energy just keep you moving.
With less than .3 miles to go it was go time. I crossed the finish line with a watch time of 30:33. I have a feeling it might be a little bit faster so I'll have to see official chip time when results are posted. But whatever the time was it's an improvement from my last 5k time of 31:45. I've got the runner's bug again...

Today's Playlist:
Enrique Iglesias - I like it
Justin Bieber - Somebody to love
Katy Perry - California Girls
Eminem - Not afraid
Shontelle - Impossible
Ne-Yo - Beautiful Monster
Taio Cruz - Dynamite
Natasha Bedingfield - Touch

Keep the races coming!

2 comments: