Weight Loss

About Me

My photo
Athens, PA, United States
A self proclaimed fitness junkie with a weakness for all things unhealthy.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Big kid toys!

With all the studying I've been doing over the past couple of months its hard not to think about what the end result has in store.
I mean yea, new found independence, life as a student over as I know it is over, and a biweekly paycheck are nice. But what is it that I want to spend those biweekly paychecks on?
Well, first the obvious answer is: Student Loan Repayments, Rent, Utilities, Bills, bills, bills...
But that's really not as fun.

You hear recent graduates talk about their first "big" purchase. Whether it be the more obvious choices of car, big screen tv, dog, and on and on and on...

Well my sights are set on other things.
Since I will be living in Florida I will be surrounded by water. Whether it be the pool, the ocean, the river, you name it, it's there. What better purchase than a brand new Kayak? Nothing like spending a Saturday or Sunday morning/afternoon out on the intercoastal waterway. With the excitement of wildlife such as manatees and dolphins what is there not to love? Other than the ever present chance of being capsized by a speed boat that is. I hear they go on sale at the end of the season at Dick's Sporting Goods. You better believe my eyes will be kept wide open for a sale on this beauty.

So what else? Let's face it. I love to do triathlons. In fact, I'm training for one right now. But I must admit it's a little bit disheartening to be one of a handful of people
using a mountain bike during the bike portion of the race. Getting passed by other triathlete competitors on their fancy shiny road bikes is enough to make you wish you had one of your own.
I realize these bikes come in all shapes, sizes, and the most important factor, PRICE RANGE. This will be a later purchase. It may not be my first big purchase, but believe me, it's in the future.

Last,but not least, my final prize that I have my eyes set on would have to be the newest piece of technology utilized by water lovers and swimmers alike. I first heard about this fancy piece of technology on Dailymile.com. And right away I knew I had to have it. Waterproof Ipod shuffle with waterproof headphones from swimman.com. The price isn't too steep, so after paying the necessary bills and getting things squared away I may make this my first purchase. It would be awesome to listen to something other than my thoughts while swimming laps. Not that I don't have some interesting thoughts, but that's beside the point.

2 comments:

  1. Those all look like fun! My first big purchase was a Mazda3. I drive 60 miles a day, so a new car was absolutely necessary => And school loan repayment = teh suck. I wish I would have paid more attention to how much I was taking out because my loan repayments each month are about what a monthly payment on a new BMW would cost. SIGH! Congrats on all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want a Kayak sooo bad! im just not sure if there are enough places near me where I could use it enough to make it worth it.

    As far as a bike, I bought a road bike last year A specialized dolce elite & I LOVE it. I was told not to get the lowest end bike because the frame wont be as lightweights. I got a midgrade with a lighter frame, and they told me I can always swap out for lighter parts later.

    I am training for my first sprint tri! any advice you can give would be welcome. I am going crazy thinking about what I would wear!

    ReplyDelete