Weight Loss

About Me

My photo
Athens, PA, United States
A self proclaimed fitness junkie with a weakness for all things unhealthy.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The honeymoon is over

I knew with so many good days of running in a row this past week it would come to an end sooner or later. That later was yesterday morning during the Race for Chase 5k run. I knew it was going to be a little out of my element since the race was held at the state park in our town. The state park that's on a hill. In fact its so much on top of a hill its called Round Top. The only paved and flat course is the paved road at the very top. But the race started at the lower pavilion, key word lower.

I got there a little early to register since I hadn't done so prior to the race. I should have known at that point I was in for an interesting race when lots and lots of cross country runners from around the area were showing up, including my high school's cross country coach. Then my limited memory recalled oh wait, our high school cross country course was at Round Top. Insert feeling of wanting to get back in my car and go home. At that point I came to terms with the fact that I might not PR today.

The race started at 9AM. It was hot and humid. Probably around 150 runners. I took my usual spot at the back of the pack. And followed the heard along the road and into the woods. The trail wasn't too bad at first. Bumpy, rocky with tree roots and uneven ground, but that's to be expected on a trail run, right? I can handle this I said, until I rounded a corner on the trail and saw the hill. With an incline so steep I contemplated climbing it as opposed to running. I started running it, got halfway up and realized at the pace I was running it I would waste less energy walking and still be going about the same speed. So I walked. Not very happy about that but I did. I walked to the top and came out at the top paved area. I started to run again. The course took us one lap around the top and then back down the main road to where we started. Once you got back down to the lower pavilion you went past that, up another road, another steep incline I might add, and back through the woods. All uphill again. I walked most of the uphills. This disappointed me because I usually try to at least SLOWLY job inclines, but with the conditions of the course I knew to embrace walking and make up for it on solid ground.

Past the lower pavilion and back to the original trail I knew to run until I got to the hill and then walk. And walk I did. Another loop around the top road and ended with the finish line at the top. When I got to the top of the hill I knew I could possibly get in under 35 minutes. Which is far off my last race time, but still something I would be ok with. So I rejoined the herd of mostly women who I had been around the rest of the race and picked up my pace. I finished in 34:15. Which like I said could have been better, but could have been a LOT worse.

I had a lady come up to me after the race and thank me for pacing her? I told her no problem, but in the back of my mind thinking, How did I pace anyone when I was basically dying the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment