Weight Loss

About Me

My photo
Athens, PA, United States
A self proclaimed fitness junkie with a weakness for all things unhealthy.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Running...and running...and running

First 5k since PE/DVT in the books. Jim King Memorial 5k race held here in my hometown Athens, PA. I went to school with Jim's son Devin so not only was it a great opportunity to get out and run, but it was also for a good cause. Devin's dad died of brain cancer 5 years ago and he was really really active in the community, head of the fire department and really big on community events. They've been holding this run for him every year since he passed. It starts and finishing at the Fire Department...very fitting.
Here's the route. Not bad. Your standard out and back course. Mostly flat with a couple hills, but mostly gradual inclines. I've run this route a few times in the weeks leading up to the race so I kind of knew what to expect, where I hit my walls and where I could coast through.

I felt pretty good for the first mile. The first .5 miles is on a somewhat incline so again I knew what to expect. At the one mile marker I knew I was running a pretty good pace. I came across the mile marker at 9:50. A little bit faster than my usual pace for 10 minute miles. At that point I knew I had to keep it up if I wanted to get in under 32:00. My all time personal best for a 5k is 30:15, but I knew I wasn't touching that today.
Mile 2 was ok. I hit a wall around the 1.5 mile marker, like I always do. That's something I need to work on. I feel like I come out strong but halfway through my body decides it doesn't really agree with what I'm doing anymore.
Mile 2. Came across at 20:23. So that's roughly a 10:30 split. I'll take it. At this point I knew I had a little over 12 minutes to get my sorry butt back across that finish line if I wanted to
make my goal today.
Around 2.5 miles I was feeling good. I was enjoying the atmosphere, and I even passed some people. I caught up to Devin around 2.75 miles and we ran the rest out together. I apologized because I'm not much for small talk when I'm running...I'm more a fan of breathing and not passing out.
3 mile marker. I crossed in 30:35. Ok I had a little over a minute and a half to get my sorry butt across that finish line. Only complication. My headphones died about a half mile back. So the usual sounds of Coheed and Cambria - In keeping secrets of silent earth were not pushing me across the finish line at this point. I kicked it into high gear and finished in 31:45. I'll take it. Considering the last 5k I did I finished in 36:41. With some stops to walk. Next race...not sure. But I'll be ready!

Today's Playlist:
Usher- O.M.G
Eminem - Not Afraid
Ludacris- My chick bad
3oh!3 ft Ke$ha- My first kiss
Christina Aguilera ft Nikki Minaj - Woohoo
Mika- Love Today
Florence + the Machine - Dog Days are Over
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth (well the first 30 seconds before my headphones died)

I have something I like to call runner's ADD when I listen to my Ipod. I'm sure there were brief snippets of other songs in there, but I get trigger happy and skip halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment