Weight Loss

About Me

My photo
Athens, PA, United States
A self proclaimed fitness junkie with a weakness for all things unhealthy.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Could I really be a runner?


This is the question I've been asking myself lately. As I continue with my half marathon/triathlon training program I am really starting to wonder where this new found respect of running came from. Could it be the fact that running 3 miles no longer feels like a chore, and I actually look forward to pushing myself each weekend as me and my training partner's mileage increases each week.
My alarm went off on Saturday morning at 5:15 AM. With the sound of my alarm I questioned my sanity as I woke up and realized that yes, it was Saturday morning, and yes, I was actually kind of excited to run a 10k race. It was my first ever. I've done numerous 5ks and two sprint triathlons but no 10k race. I knew I was capable of running 6 miles, since me and my training partners ran 6.8 last weekend. But could I really compete in a race? The morning was humid and hot, as is the standard for an August morning in Florida. The first mile started out rough, but once my legs shook out I started to fall into a groove. At around 3 miles I started to feel a little rundown. The water stations didn't have water, only gatorade, which really doesn't make that much sense for a 6 mile race. All I wanted at that moment was a glass of water, well ok TWO glasses of water. One to drink. One to dump on my head. At around 4 miles I thought of turning to the woman we were passing and saying, "No offense to you, I'm sure you're a very nice person but I would punch you in the face for a glass of water right now." Must be the volunteers had read my mind because for the last two water stations they finally had WATER!
Around 5.5-6.0 miles there were two women ahead of me. Right before the 6 mile marker I picked it up and sprinted it out to the finish line. They looked like they could be my age group, so I wasn't taking any chances. Not that I ever come to these races thinking I'm going to win. I finished in 1:03:20. Which for me, is a great time! Right around a 10 minute mile.
And to my surprise I got 1st place in my age group. And I actually beat people. It wasn't by default there were actually second and third place finishers. This never happens, and might not happen again but for now I've got a really sweet pint glass to prove it!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the win!! feels awesome huh?

    I never really considered myself a runner either, I had been doing it a few years, won 1st place in a 5k athena division once. Then I ran the Disney half marathon in the hail, snow & cold last january & deemed myself a runner afterwards.

    Sometimes you need an accomplishment to help show you what you are, so maybe this is yours!

    ReplyDelete